According to reports out of Atlanta, the Governor's Office of Highway Safety awarded Atlanta police with a $332,970 grant.
Reports in 2018 resulted in 375 alcohol-related fatalities. Officers will be patrolling areas that typically have a high volume of fatal and serious accidents so as to reduce the problems.
As a Georgia DUI Lawyer, I am not against officers doing their jobs and attempting to keep roadway fatalities and serious injuries to minimum. However, I am against people being wrongly suspected, accused, investigated, and arrested for driving under the influence in Georgia.
In today's post I will outline the law behind DUI in Georgia.
DUI in Georgia
DUI in Georgia is defined by the Georgia Code in O.C.G.A. §40-6-391 as:
A person shall not drive or be in actual physical control of any moving vehicle while:
(1) Under the influence of alcohol to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;
(2) Under the influence of any drug to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;
(3) Under the intentional influence of any glue, aerosol, or other toxic vapor to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;
(4) Under the combined influence of any two or more of the substances specified in paragraphs (1) through (3) of this subsection to the extent that it is less safe for the person to drive;
(5) The person's alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time within three hours after such driving or being in actual physical control from alcohol consumed before such driving or being in actual physical control ended; or
(6) Subject to the provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section, there is any amount of marijuana or a controlled substance, as defined in Code Section 16-13-21, present in the person's blood or urine, or both, including the metabolites and derivatives of each or both without regard to whether or not any alcohol is present in the person's breath or blood.
Driving under the influence arrests are serious and if convicted, a person is facing suspension of their Driver's License as well as many other consequences. Call us today if you or a loved one has been arrested.