Most people who are arrested for DUI in Georgia make the assumption that they are immediately deemed guilty and have no other options. This is not the truth. If arrested for DUI in Georgia, your best defense starts with a Georgia DUI Attorney.
Georgia DUI Laws are complicated, however, a Georgia DUI Lawyer, can figure out if there is a weakness (or several) in your arrest in order to figure out whether the weakness can be challenged.
In today's post I've outlined some of the most common ways to challenge a DUI arrest in Georgia - otherwise known as DUI Defenses in Georgia.
Most Common Georgia DUI Defenses
- Was there a valid reason to initiate the original traffic stop?
- Were the Field Sobriety Tests conducted appropriately and according to procedure?
- Were you properly read your correct Georgia Implied Consent Notice?
- Was the arresting officer properly trained to make DUI arrests?
- Was the DUI a result of a Roadblock and did the officers follow proper procedure?
- Was the vehicle searched? Was there probably cause to conduct that search?
- Did the officer have probable cause to arrest the driver for DUI?
- Was a breath test administered? Did the machine work properly?
- Was the driver informed of their right to an outside chemical sobriety test?
- Does the officer have a disciplinary record?
It is important to hire an attorney who specializes in Georgia DUI Defense. Such an attorney is the only type who can adequately represent you. A conviction for DUI in Georgia is not something you should risk. Georgia DUI Penalties are some of the harshest in the country and can be life-altering. These penalties can include:
- Jail time
- Community service
- Substance abuse counseling
- Georgia DUI School
- Victim Impact Panels
- License Suspension
If charged with another offense in addition to your DUI, your penalties can be further escalated. If charged with subsequent DUIs, then the penalties also increase.
If you or a loved one has been arrested for DUI in Georgia, contact our offices today.