What If I Get a DUI in Georgia and Lose my License? What if My License Gets Stolen? Can I Fly Without My ID or my Passport?
Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson airport is one of the busiest airports in the world. The airport is a hub for thousands of people that travel to Atlanta on business trips or are traveling through on connecting flights. So what happens if you get a DUI in Georgia and get your license taken away? Or what happens if you lose your license or it gets stolen? If you have your passport, then you will have no problem getting on a plane, but oftentimes people do not bring their passport while traveling within the United States.
If you receive an Atlanta DUI, the police officer may take your license. It can be unnerving to be in a place where you are unfamiliar without your main form of identification. In addition, how will you get back home without a license? Popular belief is that without appropriate identification, you cannot fly. However, this is not the case. The short answer is yes; you should still be able to fly even if your license gets taken. However, there are some extra hoops you will have to go through in order to fly. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website states that people will still be allowed to fly even without a license or a passport, but there are certain requirements.
On a side note, if you are flying internationally without a license or passport, it will be more difficult that flying domestically. Check the TSA website for more information on that situation.
Further, if you are 17 or younger, you do not need an ID to travel.
What Steps Should You Take?
- Arrive at the airport at least two hours before your plane is expected to take off and approach the travel document checker and let them know you do not have your ID or your passport since you are traveling domestically. Because you do not have a license or a passport, expect extra screening and scrutiny when heading to the airport. You should expect to have your person and bags completely searched.
- Try to find some alternate identification to assist with the process. It will take some extra time to authenticate your identity, so that is why it is crucial for you to arrive extra early to the airport. Some items that travelers have used to get thru the TSA screening when they don't have their ID or passport include:
- Utility bills
- Library card
- Student ID's
- Work security badges
- Police reports of a lost/stolen wallet
- Business cards with photos
- Magazines that state a home address
- Marriage license
- Smart photos of IDs
These are all examples of identifications that have worked for some people but every situation is different, and TSA may choose not to accept your form even if it is on this list. If they choose not to accept your form of identification, then you will not be able to board the plane. Just remember, that the agents are people too and they will try to work with you. Just be patient and try to bring as much information as possible when heading to the airport. Keep in mind you can access much of this online and get it printed at a UPS store or some other public place. Also, someone from home can email you documents to print.
In sum, even if you get your license taken for a DUI Arrest in Atlanta GA, you can still fly home. Just make sure to arrive early and have some form of alternate identification. For more Georgia DUI information, visit our website or contact us today. Our Atlanta DUI Lawyers are here to help 24/7.